Home | Datura | Lupine | Poison Oak | Poodle Dog Bush | Stinging Nettle



Lupines (Lupinius spp.) are cultivated in a variety of landscapes and resemble a common friendly plant known as lavender. Be warned though, most varieties of lupines are toxic to animals and can cause discomfort to humans when ingested.

The poison is present in the foliage, but the real danger is in its seeds. Fortunately, toxicity for lupines happens to be seasonal, and most lupines are safe in the pre-flowering stage. In California, though, the velvet lupine is toxic even during its youth.

Effects of poisoning include in depressed heart and nervous systems, and overall numbness, particularly in the feet and hands. Death is very rare, but not uncommon for folks susceptible to weak hearts. It can lead to respiratory failure. Symptoms include burning sensations in the mouth and abdomen, nausea, drowsiness, headache, and fever. In severe cases, victims may experience hallucinations and convulsions before slipping into a coma.