Home | Datura | Lupine | Poison Oak | Poodle Dog Bush | Stinging Nettle



Pacific Poison Oak or Toxicodendron diversilobum grows almost entirely in California with some parts in Oregon and Washington.

The poison is present in the foliage, but the real danger is in its seeds. Fortunately, toxicity for lupines happens to be seasonal, and most lupines are safe in the pre-flowering stage. In California, though, the velvet lupine is toxic even during its youth.

To spot or identify this West Coast menace, look out for usually leaves of three. Although it has been known to grow more than three leaves. In addition, based on how the leaves grow from the stem, you will see it grow on the left first, then right. In addition, it will never have thorns, saw-toothed or evenly scalloped edges.

Poisoning from this plant isn't too toxic, and usually just results in allergic reactions. When in contact with the skin, it will cause inflammation, colorless bumps, severe itching, and blistering. Hikers and plantlovers also be warned, that contact with twigs and leafless branches can also cause allergic reactions. When burned, the resulted smoke is extremely hazardous. The smoke can poison folks who thought they were immune. Never use branches as campfire as it can cause reactions internally and externally.