Home | Datura | Lupine | Poison Oak | Poodle Dog Bush | Stinging Nettle



Stinging Nettle or Urtica dioica from the family of Urticaceae is a herbaceous perennial flowering plant.

The effects of stinging nettle, although uncomfortable, are not severe enough to constitute as a "poisoning". Its root and above ground parts actually have medicinal benefits. Brushing the plant produces a stinging effect on the skin of varying intensity. The sting, if left untouched, has been known to persist for twelve hours.

Interestingly, the little hairs on the edge and underside of the leaves are comparable to sealed hypodermic syringes. Brushing the leaf, breaks off the top, leaving the sharp end stuck into the skin. Continuing sideway movements results in the bulb containing poisons being squeezed, thus injecting toxins.